Welcome to Grace Baptist Church of Ottawa
Statement of Faith
- The Bible is the inspired, infallible, completed Word of God without error in its original manuscripts.
- There is only one, living and true God, composed of three Persons - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, each eternally coexistent and fully God.
- God is sovereign over all creation, and He directs all things in accordance with His eternal, immutable purpose.
- The first man was created perfect, but willfully disobeyed God, and severed his communion with God, thus leaving his descendants - all mankind - at
enmity with God and spiritually dead in their sin.
- For no reason, other than to glorify His own Self, God in His eternal purpose chose to reconcile a multitude of people to Himself through the
Person of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. For this multitude Jesus Christ took on the form of a man and became their perfect substitute on
the cross, satisfying divine justice on their behalf. His sacrifice purchased all things necessary to ensure their eternal salvation.
- Although God commands men everywhere to repent, such is the power of sin that men will not of themselves obey this command. Therefore God, determined
to save those for whom Christ died, calls them through the Gospel and draws them by the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit; who renews
their minds, hearts and wills so that they freely trust in Christ. Those brought to faith in Christ are forgiven all their sins, declared perfectly
righteous in Christ (justified) and adopted as God's children.
- Saving faith is of necessity accompanied by repentance, which involves the recognition of, sorrow over, and the turning away from all known sin,
with a new desire to live in obedience to Jesus Christ.
- Jesus Christ alone is the Head of the one true Christian Church, which is made up of those people who have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit.
All these are presently indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and by their words and deeds show their allegiance to Christ.
- There are two ordinances that have been instituted by the Lord Jesus: believer's baptism and the Lord's Supper. Neither of these has, in
itself, the power to save men from their sins, but are outward symbols of inward, spiritual realities.
- God, in His eternal purpose, has also appointed a day of judgment: a day in which He will judge all mankind in righteousness by Jesus Christ. Every
human who has ever lived will appear before Christ to give an account of his or her life, and to receive either everlasting life in the
presence of God, or everlasting torment in hell.
- The 1644 First London Baptist Confession of Faith and the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith are excellent expressions of biblical truth.
While we do not agree on every point, we believe that these Confessions summarize essential doctrine and assist in resolving controversy,
confirming faith and edifying believers.